Each time ‘Parent, Student, Teacher’ interviews roll around, I ask my students (in front of their parents) to share what their favourite thing about school is. Of course I hope for responses that reflect their love of learning such as: “I just adore reading” or “I like to count using the blocks”. And if I’m really being honest I’d love to hear a “Libby is my favourite thing about school” response. Unfortunately, I don’t get to hear any of the above comments as much as I’d like!
Here are 6 of the most common responses I do tend to hear. I’ve also included the corresponding thought that goes through my mind on hearing them.
- “I love playing outside.” What about Maths? You like that right?
- “I enjoy having ‘free play’.” Don’t you mean “developmental” play with highly educational value?
- “I like eating lunch.” Oh dear
- “I like sitting next to my friend.” While engaging in cooperative learning tasks?
- “I don’t know…” What about eating lunch? Come on, just say something.
- “I like it when it’s home time.” Just smile…
Can anyone else relate? What responses have you gotten?